About WL Sportsmans Club
The Sportsman's Club holds it's meetings, the first Wednesday of each month, 7:30 PM, at The Lizard Lounge, 5506 E. Wonder Lake Rd, Wonder Lake IL, 60097.
Club President Brian Barnfield, 815.728.0170
Membership dues are $125 per year, which can be reduced by committee participation.
For more information on events, call Ken, 312 543-5881, Sportsman's Club, P.O. Box 242, Wonder Lake, IL. 60097
• Spring Bass Derby Sunday May 6th, registration 5:30 - 6 am. 1:00 pm weigh-in, trophy presentation - Horizontals. Center Beach (Hancock & East Lake Shore Dr), Contact: Tony Musel – 815-345-8724. Note: One fisherman in boat must be a WL resident
• Carp Kill Classic, Sunday, June 3rd, 6 am - 12:00 noon. Shore Hills Beach (2/3 mile South of Center Beach on E. LSD). Contact: Chris Woerner (815: 790-7397)
• Kids Fishing Derby, Sunday June 10th, 9:00 am - 1:00 pm, Center Beach. Free for all kids, many prizes. Contact: Tom Stygar (815: 728-1453)
• Catfish Derby, Sat/Sun August 11th /12th, registration 6:00 - 7:00 pm. Shore Hills Beach – Derby 7PM to 6AM Sunday. Weigh in @ 2:00 am Sunday, prizes awarded. Contact: Paul Fallaw 815-790-3333
• Fall Bass Derby Sunday October 7th, registration 6:00 - 6:30 am. 1:30 pm weigh-in, trophy presentation - Horizontals Center Beach. Contact: Tony Musel - 815-345-8724. Note: One fisherman in boat must be a resident of WL
• Ice Fishing Derby, Sunday, January 27th, 2019, 6:00 am - 2:00 pm. Registration on day of event at Sunrise Groceries or on ice. Lookout Point Pavillion – North East side of the Lake. Many prizes & raffles. Open to all. (Back up date: Feb 10th) Contact: Jerry Graff 815-728-0144
Spring Bass Derby
Wonder Lake Sportsman's Club Spring Bass Derby Sunday, May 6th, 2018.
• Sign up begins at 5:30 a.m.
• Event will run from 6:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
• Registration will be at Wonder Center Beach.
• $15.00 per person with an additional $5.00 option for biggest bass.
• Two fisherman per boat. One fisherman per boat must be a WL resident
1pm Weigh-in and Trophy Presentation at Horizontals.
Net proceeds help to stock Wonder Lake with appropriate sport fish.
For more information, contact Tony Musel, @ 815-345-8724 Sportsman's Club, P.O. Box 242, Wonder Lake, IL. 60097
Carp Kill Classic
Wonder Lake Sportsman's Club Carp Kill Classic 6:00 AM - 12 Noon, Sunday, June 3rd, 2018.
Begins at 4:30 AM day of the event, and will run until 8 AM.
Kids 15 & under are Free,1 Man $20, 2 Man, $40, 3 Man $60 (Per Team)
Shore Hills Beach of Wonder Lake IL. 2/3 Mile south of Center Beach on East Lakeshore Drive.
• Hot Dogs, Soda & Water will be available throughout the event.
We’ll continue to cook afterwards so we all can enjoy good food and good company. Come on out and experience a great time with us!!!!!
The Awards Ceremony for All Three Brackets will Begin at 12:30 PM at Shore Hills Beach. Throughout the Event, there will be available for Purchase, Raffle Tickets for Door Prizes and a 50/50. The Raffles will be held after the awards Ceremony. All proceeds from this event go towards the conservation of Wonder Lake. Contact Chris Woerner (815) 790-7397
Kids Fishing Derby
Wonder Lake Sportsman's Club Kids Fishing Derby 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM, Sunday, June 10th, 2018.
If you’ve been fishing for most of your life, you might not realize all the benefits you’ve gained from it.
Appreciation of Nature: How often do kids these days get out in the fresh air and enjoy the great outdoors? A few hours in nature can help them appreciate the beauty of our world, and get some healthy exercise.
Unplugging from Technology: Getting children away from their computers and video games once in a while will help them see that there are more ways to have fun.
Good Morals and Ethics: Fishing is a great opportunity to teach your child about certain morals and life lessons. For example: Respect. Don’t crowd in if another fisherman has found a great spot. Slow down when you pass other anglers in a boat. If another fisherman is lacking bait or extra line, kindly offer him or her some of your own. Respect your environment by not littering and taking care not to spill gas in the water. Don’t wastefully discard fish or heedlessly harm them.
Balance and Coordination: Fishing requires physical and technical skills as well, including balance and coordination.
Patience: If a fish immediately swallowed the hook each time it was lowered it into the water, the sport wouldn’t be any fun! Fishing teaches children to be patient and to wait quietly for the things they want.
Introduce your child to recreational fishing
• Sunday June 10th, 2018 9 AM - 1 PM
• Center Beach in Wonder Lake.
• This event is FREE for all kids
• Many prizes will be awarded
• Call Tom Stygar for more information 815-728-1453
Wonder Lake Sportsman's Club Catfish Derby 7:00 PM - 7:00 AM, Sat/Sun August 11th /12th 2018
(All proceeds go for lake conservation) Entry Fee: $10.00. Big Fish Pot, $5 per person.
Shore Hills Beach in Wonder Lake 6 PM, 2/3 mile south of Center Beach, on East Lakeshore Drive.
This event is open to everyone, providing at least one team member is a resident of Wonder Lake. Contact Paul Fallaw: 815-790-3333
• Four Divisions: One Man, Two Man, Three Man, & Four Man Teams
• Payout will be one payout per division, which will be based on total weight of fish, per team for the duration of the derby.
• This is a catch & release derby
• All fish must be 15", and be alive, able to be release & survive.
• Two pole maximum per fisherman
• No jugging or trot lines will be allowed
• Fish will be able to be weighted in anytime during the derby if you don't have a livewell, at the tent on Shore Hills Beach
Fall Bass Derby
Wonder Lake Sportsman's Club Fall Bass Derby 6:30 AM - 1:30 PM, Sunday, October 7th, 2018.
Fees: Entry Fee: $30.00 per boat, 2 people per team. There is an optional Big Bass competition with a $5.00 additional fee. Winning participants will receive 70% of entry fees and the remaining 30% will go towards restocking the lake. Trophies and money will be awarded as follows: 1st Place, 50%, 2nd Place, 30%, 3rd Place 20%. 100% of Big Bass entry fees will be awarded for largest bass. Trophy presentation will be held at Horizontals Saloon in Wonder Lake.
Registration: Check In: The only official check point will be on the east side of the lake at Wonder Center Beach. Check in is at 6 AM. Derby begins at 6:30 AM. and ends promptly at 1:30 PM. Check Out: Competitors must return to check point by 1:30 PM. promptly, (no excuses). Failure to do so will result in 100% loss of weight. All fishing must cease upon check in. After proper recognition at the check point, competitors will be allowed ample time to proceed to the weigh in site.
Participation: Participation in this event is open to adults individuals or minors who are accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. One teammate must be a resident of Wonder Lake. Only artificial baits and lures may be used.
Scoring: Derby standings shall be determined by the pound and ounce weight of each catch during the day of the event. Only Large & Small mouth bass 12 inches or larger will be weighed. There is a legal limit of 6 bass per team. Fish determined to be short by the derby committee will result in the loss of that fish and big bass of the team catch. Bass must not be put on a stringer at any time during the derby. Only live fish will be weighed.
Sportsmanship: Competitors are expected to follow high standards of sportsmanship courtesy, safety, and conservation. Any infraction of these fundamental sporting principles may be deemed cause for disqualification. Maximum courtesy must be practiced at all times, especially with regard to boating and angling in the vicinity of other competitors on the water.
Safety: Safe boating conduct must be observed at all times by derby competitions. Every boat must have required Coast Guard Safety equipment. In addition, it must have a functional live-well. Each boat will be subject to an inspection by a derby official prior to derby start.
Contact Tony Musel (815) 345-8724 for more information.
Ice Fishing Derby
Wonder Lake Sportsman's Club Ice Fishing Derby, January 27th, 2019 from 6 AM- 2 PM
Registration on day of event at Sunrise Groceries or on ice
Fees (All proceeds go for lake conservation), Entry Fee: $10.00, Kids 12 & under: Free
Day of Derby Registration
On the Ice-East Side (Lookout Point Pavillion), or Sunrise Bait & Grocery, 5313 E. Wonder Lake Rd. (Bait available), Early Registration at Creekside Grocery
Contact: Jerry Graff 815-728-0144
Prizes: • The Grand Prize will be awarded by a drawing of the names of all first place winners.
• PRIZES & ALL RAFFLES WILL BE AWARDED IMMEDIATELY AFTER DERBY ON THE ICE
• If derby is canceled all Raffle tickets will be drawn by club officials & winners will be notified.
Rules • This is a catch and release derby!!! Please bring a 'live-well bucket!'
• ALL STATE LAWS WILL BE ABIDED BY.
• All game fish caught should be taken to the officials' booth on the ice, measured and released.
• Judging will be on the length of the fish. All measuring will be done on the ice by a club official.
• If a tie occurs, it will be decided by the flip of a coin by one of the officials.
• Derby ends at 2 PM sharp, per official's time clock.